Saturday, September 22
Bring that Sunflower that has been growing and growing and growing all summer long to the Attleboro Farmers Market Sunflower Contest Booth. We will measure the sunflowers entered for consideration of being the Tallest Sunflower Plant and for the Biggest Sunflower Head.
The official rules and the particulars about the Tallest Plant and the Biggest Head are below.
- The sunflower contest is open to all ages.
- Sunflowers must be home-grown by a family member.
- Limit of one entry per person per class. Multiple family members may enter.
- Sunflower entries must be brought to the Attleboro Farmers Market contest booth.
- Entries accepted at the Contest Booth between 8 a.m. and 11 a.m.
- Each entry must have clipped, taped or tied to their sunflower plant a letter-size paper with the entrant’s name, address and indicate if it is to be considered for the tallest or largest flower.
- Judging begins at 11:00 a.m.
- Winners announced at 11:45 a.m.
- Must be present to win and must consent to having photograph taken for publicity.
The tallest plant will be measured from the soil line to the top of the head. The head will be extended to measure the full height of the plant. Either pull the plant from the soil, removing the soil and bring to the festival, or cut off just below the soil line. Leaves are not necessary, only the stock including the seed head.
Biggest Sunflower Head
The biggest head will be measured as the diameter of the seed head. The yellow petals will not be measured or required. The measurement will be taken across the head containing the sunflower seeds. Heads should be cut from the stock (unless also entering the same plant in the tallest sunflower plant class).
- Tallest Overall Attleboro Farmers Market T-shirt, Bag and assorted Market sponsored items, $20 Attleboro Farmers Market Gift Certificate
- Largest Flower T-shirt, Bag and assorted Market sponsored items, $20 Attleboro Farmers Market Gift Certificate
- Honorable Mention T-shirt, Bag and $10 Attleboro Farmers Market Gift Certificate